Howard W. Hunter Professor of Law
Lisa Grow graduated from the University of Utah summa cum laude in chemistry and then attended Harvard Law School. In 1997, she was the first woman to graduate first in her class from Harvard Law School, the first woman to graduate summa cum laude, and the first student to graduate summa cum laude in 15 years. She was the Notes Chair of the Harvard Law Review, a Senior Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, and an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Technology. After clerking for Judge J. Michael Luttig of the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and then for Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, Professor Grow was a Lecturer in Law at Stanford Law School, where she taught Federal Jurisdiction and Administrative Law. Professor Grow then spent two years in Beijing, China, where she taught Civil Procedure to Chinese judges, lawyers, and administrative officials as a Visiting Professor at the Temple/Tsinghua University Masters in Law Program. Professor Grow has also worked as a consultant for law firms on appellate briefs and Supreme Court petitions for certiorari, and has served as a pro bono lawyer on constitutional, administrative, bankruptcy, and family law matters. Professor Grow teaches Disaster Law, Constitutional Law, and Torts. Her primary research interest is in the emerging field of Disaster Law. She is coauthor of the leading disaster law textbook, Disaster Law and Policy, with Dan Farber, Jim Chen, and Rob Verchick.
- Co-Curr Law Review
- Constitutional Law
- Disaster Law
- Law and Social Change Colloquium
- Structures of the Constitution
- J.D., Harvard Law School
- B.S., University of Utah
- Douglas M. Spencer, Lisa Grow, Brigham Daniels, Chantel Sloan & Natalie Blades, Viral Voter Suppression (forthcoming). [SSRN]
- Daniel A. Farber & Lisa Grow, Foreword: Current Trends in Disaster Law and Policy, in The Cambridge Handbook on Disaster Law and Policy: Risk, Recovery, and Redevelopment (Susan Shu-Hui Kuo, John Travis Marshall & Ryan M. Rowberry eds., Cambridge Univ. Press) (forthcoming 2022). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow, Brigham Daniels, Douglas M. Spencer, Chantel Sloan, Natalie Blades & Teresa Gomez, Disaster Vulnerability in 3D, 63 B.C. L. Rev. 957 (2022). [SSRN]
- RonNell Andersen Jones & Lisa Grow Sun, Repairing the Damage: President Biden and the Press, 2021 U. Ill. L. Rev. Online: President Biden’s First 100 Days: A Symposium (April 30, 2021). [Link]
- RonNell Andersen Jones & Lisa Grow Sun, Freedom of the Press in Post-Truthism America, 98 Wash. U. L. Rev. 419 (2020). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Law and Order, in Research Handbook on Climate Disaster Law: Barriers and Opportunities 133 (Rosemary Lyster & Robert R.M. Verchick eds., Elgar 2018).
- Brigham Daniels, Michalyn Steele & Lisa Grow Sun, Just Environmentalism, 37 Yale L. & Pol’y Rev. 1 (2018). [SSRN]
- RonNell Andersen Jones & Lisa Grow Sun, Making an Enemy of the Press, 2017 U. Ill. L. Rev. Online: Trump 100 Days Symposium (April 29, 2017). [Link]
- RonNell Andersen Jones & Lisa Grow Sun, Enemy Construction and the Press, 49 Ariz. St. L. Rev. 1301 (2017). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun & Brigham Daniels, Externality Entrepreneurism, 50 UC Davis L. Rev. 321 (2016). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Climate Change and the Narrative of Disaster, in The Role of International Environmental Law in Disaster Risk Reduction 29 (Jacqueline Peel & David Fisher eds., 2016).
- Lisa Grow Sun & Brandon Curtis, Urban Planning and Climate Change, in Climate Change Law 649 (Daniel A. Farber & Margan Peeters eds., 2016).
- Daniel A. Farber, Jim Chen, Robert R.M. Verchick, & Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Law and Policy (3d ed., Aspen 2015)
- Lisa Grow Sun & RonNell Andersen Jones, War Rhetoric and Disaster Transparency, in Risk Analysis of Natural Hazards: Interdisciplinary Challenges and Integrated Solutions 199 (Paulo Gardoni et al. eds., 2015).
- Lisa Grow Sun & Lloyd Burton, Introduction: The Myths We Live (And Die) By, in Special Issue: Cassandra’s Curse: The Law and Foreseeable Future Disasters 1 (Austin Sarat, series ed., Lloyd Burton & Lisa Grow Sun, issue eds., 2015).
- Lisa Grow Sun & Sabrina McCormick, Foreseeable Disaster Mismanagement in a Changing Climate, in Special Issue: Cassandra’s Curse: The Law and Foreseeable Future Disasters 65 (Austin Sarat, series ed., Lloyd Burton & Lisa Grow Sun, issue eds., 2015) (peer reviewed).
- Lisa Grow Sun & Brigham Daniels, Mirrored Externalities, 90 Notre Dame L. Rev. 135 (2014). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun & RonNell Andersen Jones, Disaggregating Disasters, 60 UCLA L. Rev. 884 (2013). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Mythology and Availability Cascades, in Disaster and Sociolegal Studies (Susan Sterrett, ed., 2013). Also available in online peer-reviewed journal, 3 Oñati Socio-Legal Series 277 (2013).
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Mythology and Availability Cascades, 23 Duke Envtl. L. & Pol’y F. 73 (2012). (symposium).
- Lisa Grow Sun, Smart Growth in Dumb Places: Sustainability, Disaster, and the Future of the American City, 2011 BYU L. Rev. 2157 (2011). (symposium). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Mythology and the Law, 96 Cornell L. Rev. 1131 (2011). [SSRN]
- Daniel A. Farber, Jim Chen, Robert R.M. Verchick & Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Law and Policy (2d ed., Aspen 2009).
- Visiting Professor, Temple/Tsinghua University Masters in Law Program in Beijing, China
- Lecturer, Stanford Law School
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, United States Supreme Court
- Law Clerk, The Honorable The Honorable Judge J. Michael Luttig, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Associate Professor, J. Reuben Clark Law School