Lisa Grow Sun
Professor of Law
Lisa Grow Sun graduated from the University of Utah summa cum laude in chemistry and then attended Harvard Law School. In 1997, she was the first woman to graduate first in her class from Harvard Law School, the first woman to graduate summa cum laude, and the first student to graduate summa cum laude in 15 years. She was the Notes Chair of the Harvard Law Review, a Senior Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, and an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Technology. After clerking for Judge J. Michael Luttig of the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and then for Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, Professor Sun was a Lecturer in Law at Stanford Law School, where she taught Federal Jurisdiction and Administrative Law. Professor Sun then spent two years in Beijing, China, where she taught Civil Procedure to Chinese judges, lawyers, and administrative officials as a Visiting Professor at the Temple/Tsinghua University Masters in Law Program. Professor Sun has also worked as a consultant for law firms on appellate briefs and Supreme Court petitions for certiorari, and has served as a pro bono lawyer on constitutional, administrative, bankruptcy, and family law matters. Professor Sun teaches Disaster Law, Constitutional Law, and Torts. Her primary research interest is in the emerging field of Disaster Law. She is coauthor of the leading disaster law textbook, Disaster Law and Policy, with Dan Farber, Jim Chen, and Rob Verchick.
- RonNell Andersen Jones & Lisa Grow Sun, Enemy Construction and the Press, Arizona State Law Review (forthcoming 2017). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun & Brigham Daniels, Externality Entrepreneurism, 50 UC Davis L. Rev. 321 (2016). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun & Brigham Daniels, Mirrored Externalities, 90 Notre Dame L. Rev. 135 (2014). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun & RonNell Andersen Jones, Disaggregating Disasters, 60 UCLA L. Rev. 884 (2013). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Mythology and Availability Cascades, in Disaster and Sociolegal Studies (Susan Sterrett, ed., 2013). Also available in online peer-reviewed journal, 3 Oñati Socio-Legal Series 277(2013). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Mythology and Availability Cascades, 23 Duke Envtl. L. & Pol’y F. 73 (2012). (symposium).
- Lisa Grow Sun, Smart Growth in Dumb Places: Sustainability, Disaster, and the Future of the American City, 2011 BYU L. Rev. 2157 (2011). (symposium). [SSRN]
- Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Mythology and the Law, Disaster Mythology and the Law, 96 Cornell L. Rev. 1131 (2011). [SSRN]
- Daniel A. Farber, Jim Chen, Robert R.M. Verchick, & Lisa Grow Sun, Disaster Law and Policy, (2d ed., 2009).
- Visiting Professor, Temple/Tsinghua University Masters in Law Program in Beijing, China
- Lecturer, Stanford Law School
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, United States Supreme Court
- Law Clerk, The Honorable The Honorable Judge J. Michael Luttig, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Associate Professor, J. Reuben Clark Law School