Annalee Hickman Pierson joined the law library faculty in 2016 after completing a J.D. at Brigham Young University. As Head of Reference and Faculty Services, she oversees legal reference and faculty services, provides faculty research assistance and support, and writes scholarship that focuses on legal reference services, faculty services, legal research instruction, legal education, and law librarianship. She also teaches Introduction to Legal Research and Writing and Introduction to Advocacy.
Annalee Hickman Pierson
Head of Reference and Faculty Services
- Introduction to Legal Research and Writing
- Introduction to Advocacy
- M.L.I.S. Candidate, San Jose State University, 2021
- J.D., Brigham Young University, 2016
- B.A., Brigham Young University, 2013
- Articles and Book Chapters
- Annalee Hickman, Working with Law Librarians, in A Manual for Law Review Editors (Darby Dickerson & Brooke J. Bowman eds., forthcoming 2022) (with Andrew W. Lang).
- Annalee Hickman, Reference Work, in Introduction to Law Librarianship (Cas Laskowski & Zanada Joyner eds., 2021) (with Janet Kearney & Kelly M. Leong). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman, Creating a More Diverse Workforce: How the AALL George A. Strait Minority Scholarship & Fellowship Program Is Supporting Future Minority Law Librarians, 25 AALL Spectrum, July/Aug. 2021, at 20 (with Shamika D. Dalton & Trina Holloway). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman, How to Teach Algorithms to Legal Research Students, 28 Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research & Writing 73 (2020). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman, Engaging Legal Research Students Through Supplemental Readings from the Last Decade, 26 Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research & Writing 67 (2018). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, The Reference Assistant, 110 Law Libr. J. 59 (2018) (with Felicity Murphy) (winning submission in the new member division of the 2017 AALL/LexisNexis Call for Papers Competition) (accepted submission to the Ninth Annual Boulder Conference on Legal Information). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, All Librarians Can Help Patrons with Legal Research, Utah Libraries News, April 2018, at 3. [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, Go Ahead and Google. Then Do a Subject-Based Search, 46 Student Law., Mar.–Apr. 2018, at 8. [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, Have You Ever Considered Becoming a Law Librarian?, 46 Student Law., Nov.–Dec. 2017, at 4. [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, Book Review, in Keeping Up with New Legal Titles, 109 Law Libr. J. 482 (2017) (reviewing Digital Rights Management: The Librarian’s Guide (Catherine A. Lemmer & Carla P. Wale eds., 2016)). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, We Believe in Being Honest: Dependency Exemptions for LDS Missionaries, 31 BYU J. Pub. L. 233 (2016) (second place winning submission of the 2016 John S. Welch Award for Outstanding Legal Writing). [SSRN]
- Annalee Hickman Moser, Costa Rica, in 2 Encyclopedia of Law and Religion: The Americas 103 (Gerhard Robbers & W. Cole Durham, Jr. eds., 2016).
- Board Member, Legal Writing: The Journal of the Legal Writing Institute (2020–2024).
- Faculty Adviser, BYU Journal of Public Law (2018–Present).
- Assistant Editor, Legal Writing: The Journal of the Legal Writing Institute (2017–2019).
- Editorial Assistant, 3 Legal Information Review (2017–2018).
- Peer Reviewer, 15 Legal Communication & Rhetoric: JALWD (2018).
- Deputy Editor, 51 The Year in Review: An Annual Survey of International Legal Developments and Publication of the ABA/Section of International Law (2016).
- Presenter, Improving Your Teaching, Teaching the Teachers Conference, Portland, Oregon, forthcoming May 12, 2022 (with Shawn Nevers).
- Presenter, The Free Musketeers: Free and Low-Cost Legal Resources, Association of Legal Writing Directors (ALWD) Biennial Conference (Virtual), June 16, 2021.
- Presenter, Love Your ILL: Remotely Connecting Patrons to Resources Using Synergies Between ILL and Reference, Utah Library Association Annual Conference (Virtual), May 21, 2021 (Melanie Coleman & Iantha Haight).
- Presenter, The Free Musketeers: Free and Low-Cost Legal Resources, Rocky Mountain Legal Writing Conference, Tucson, Arizona, March 13, 2020 (canceled because of COVID-19).
- Presenter, Harmonic Progression: Utilizing Self-Assessment Techniques to Improve Teaching and Learning, 4th Annual Teaching for Learning Conference, Provo, Utah, March 5, 2020 (with Iantha Haight).
- Co-Planner, Just Write It: Embracing Your Inner Author, American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, July 16, 2019 (with Heather Joy, Alyson Drake, Jamie Baker, Cynthia Brown, and Stephen Parks).
- Presenter, Improving Your Teaching, Teaching the Teachers Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, May 31, 2019 (with Shawn Nevers).
- Presenter, A Time to Help: Painlessly Assisting Patrons with Legal Questions at the Reference Desk, Utah Library Association Conference, Sandy, Utah, May 16–17, 2019 (with Iantha Haight).
- Dialogue Leader, Making Research Connections, Utah Academic Library Consortium: Annual Professional Development Retreat, Provo, Utah, October 12, 2018.
- Panelist, Virtual Communication Tools and Techniques, Consortium of Church Libraries and Archives: Annual Spring Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, March 14, 2018.
- Presenter, Two Examples of Cross-Institutional Collaboration: Publishing and Pedagogical Workshopping, Utah Academic Library Consortium: 2017 Professional Development Retreat, Ogden, Utah, October 6, 2017 (with Felicity Murphy).
- Presenter, The Reference Assistant, AALL/LexisNexis Call for Papers Awards: The Librarian as Author, AALL Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas, July 17, 2017 (with Felicity Murphy).
- Presenter, The Reference Assistant, The Ninth Annual Boulder Conference on Legal Information: Scholarship and Teaching, Austin, Texas, July 13–15, 2017 (with Felicity Murphy). (The Boulder Conference is the premier papers workshop on topics related to legal information. Approximately 15 people are invited to present annually, drawn from a competitive call for papers).
- Presenter, The Reference Assistant, BYU Law Library Faculty Works-in-Progress Series, Provo, Utah, February 27, 2017.
- Presenter, The Reference Assistant, S.J. Quinney College of Law’s Library Faculty Works-in-Progress Series, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 24, 2017 (with Felicity Murphy).
- Head of Reference and Faculty Services, Howard W. Hunter Law Library, BYU (2021–Present)
- Faculty Services Librarian, Howard W. Hunter Law Library, BYU (2018–2021)
- Law Library Fellow, Howard W. Hunter Law Library, BYU (2016–2018)
- Reference Assistant, Howard W. Hunter Law Library, BYU (2014–2016)